- A candidate must be either a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal / Bhutan
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
Candidates belonging to categories (b) & (c) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
(II) Age Limits:
- A candidate for this examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 1st January, 2016
- The upper age‐limit of 30 years will be relaxable upto 35 years in the case of Government servants of the following categories, if they are employed in a Department/ Office under the control of any of the authorities Railway Department, Central Public Works Department, Military Engineer Service department etc
(III) Minimum Educational Qualification:
- A degree in Engineering from a recognized University or equivalent. M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as special subjects also acceptable for certain Services/posts only.
- Candidates appearing at their engineering degree or equivalent examination are also eligible to compete. Candidates qualifying on the Preliminary Examination will be required to submit the proof of passing the requisite examination along with their detailed application form to be filled up at that stage
(IV) Medical Examination
Candidates finally recommended by the Commission on the basis of Engineering Services Examination, 2016 shall be required to undergo medical examination. Every candidate, on being finally recommended by Commission will be required to undergo medical examination as and when so decided by the Ministry of Railways (Railway Board) irrespective of the fact that he/she has appeared for such medical examination in the past and found fit/unfit on the basis of earlier examination.
(V) Physical standards
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Engineering Services Examination, 2016 as per guidelines given in Appendix‐II of the Rules for the Engineering Services Examination, 2016