Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), and Government of India.
GATE 2016 Important Dates
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrolment, Application Filling, Application Submission||Sep 1, 2015 (Tuesday)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website||Oct 1, 2015 (Thursday)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||Nov 20, 2015 (Friday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||Dec 17, 2015 (Thursday)|
|GATE 2016 Online Examination
||Tentative DatesJan 30 (Saturday) to Feb 21 (Sunday), 2016|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 19, 2016 (Saturday)|
Note: An online virtual calculator will be available to examinees at the time of examination. Students should not carry any Physical Calculator to the examination venue.
The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate. The score is used for admissions to various post-graduate programmes (eg. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Government agencies. The score may also be used by Public sector units(PSUs) for employment screening purposes.
- Over 500 institutes including the IISc, IITs and NITs require GATE score for admission to their ME, M.Tech and MS Programs.
- Management institutes like NITIE, Mumbai offer admission to Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering on the basis of GATE score.
- Some non-Indian universities like the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and some technical universities in Germany also identify GATE score as a parameter for judging the quality of the candidates for admission into their Masters and Ph.D. programs.
- A host of PSUs use GATE Scores for jobs in these organizations.
- GATE is held in multiple sessions from end of January to Mid of Feb.
- GATE results will be released during 2nd and 3rd week of March
- GATE score is valid for 3 years.
- The paper has 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying a total of 15 marks are in General Aptitude (GA). Click here for paper structure.
- GATE qualified students are eligible for stipend of Rs. 12400/- per month on M.tech admission.